Register
Login

Is Insane Mode Possible?

veryhot post 3552 59
Thanks, guys. I uploaded all my videos, but now I'll have to wait for more content... :)

• Mike

• Colony
    Administrator
    Global Moderator
    Community Manager
Thanks, guys. I uploaded all my videos, but now I'll have to wait for more content... :)

I'm gonna be sharing some of these on our social media. I salute you insane-o-nauts!

...and I'm just sitting here trying to beat 2-1 on hard... :( (damn spiders just blow past my ants and kill the queen anyways...)

...and I'm just sitting here trying to beat 2-1 on hard... :( (damn spiders just blow past my ants and kill the queen anyways...)

Stack literally everything on the queen nights 1 and 2, and gradually take out the spiders based on which is furthest away. 
And on the sixth day, God created ant in his own image, and gave them dominion over the earth and all of its creatures.  Amen.

On night 3, you should have enough ants to camp the hole out of which they come. This also stops the hoard of babies.

It is possible. I have won 1.1, 1.2 on insane, and even 1.1(challenge), 1.2(challenge) on insane too. It was hard. Very hard. You cant have only one tactic. Every mission have his own tactic to beat them on insane. Sadly AI pheromones, is sometimes stupid, and its even harder to beat it.

You have to plan ahead with the pheromones, and know that ants generally don't retreat.

Got to group them up before you charge and pick your battleground well, that sort of thing. I usually keep them behind where I want the ants to defend before charging them forward.

Sometimes it's useful to turn off attack/gather mode too, or play around with the pheromone groups.

Yo Balanite, how many attempts does it generally take you to beat 1.2 Insane?  I figure I'm playing slow, but I thought I'd ask to know if I'm actually just getting bad luck (I do need to work faster). 

Also, we should race for the 3.1 and 3.2 insane mode wins, just for the challenge and learning process. 
And on the sixth day, God created ant in his own image, and gave them dominion over the earth and all of its creatures.  Amen.

Balanite, I watched your video and was amazed at how very much exactly the same you and I start out.  I guess it is a testament to how tightly balanced the map is that two random people would be nearly click-for-click identical after (in my case) ~20 hours of failure.

I had the idea that maybe there was a way to game the mechanics of the spiders by spreading out the brood chambers to split as many spiders off from the main group as possible, but it wasn't until I saw your video that I actually tried it.  (I really felt strongly that I shouldn't need to).   

Compared to your video, the third spider wave of night 2 I actually had a few more ants than you did, but still was rolled over like they were nothing.  Yet you handily defeated them.  Even with my brood chambers spread out all over.  I cannot understand exactly what is happening, why do I fail so hard there?

I noticed (this may be purely animation weirdness) that the spitters seem to stall out, it looks like they stand around doing nothing, and occasionally spit once.  Almost like they are firing at the same rate of a mortar ant.  This complete lack of DPS would explain why I can't kill very many, but I would expect if that were a genuine bug, that everyone would be experiencing it.

Re-watching your video, your shooters took everything down rapidly.  So I don't think it's just a display glitch, they are actually not firing properly.

@Mike should I try to look at this as a bug, or perhaps this is an undocumented feature of 'arachnophobia' mode?  I've had that mode turned since I first installed..  Is it actually increasing difficulty?

Spiders are much more intimidating when you have arachnaphobe mode on.  Normally it's just "wow, spiders are rushing into the nest, better kill em," but when you have that mode on they're like "G'day m8 *tips hat*," paralyzing your ants with fear. 

If the slow shooting is against spiders, it's probably because they move too rapidly to hit.  If they're firing slow on a foe that's held in place though, that's a weird bug. 

"Paralyzing your ants with fear"?

For real?   

Axelay, thanks for watching my video! It's interesting how similar our starting strategies are. :)

You mentioned that you had more ants than I did by night 2 3rd wave. Note that I was also cutting it a bit short there in the video, and had lost plenty of times there before. The key is to get about 45+ spitters (to kill spiders quickly enough) and ~70 workers to replace eggs between waves, then center them all around the queen when the wave hits. My reinforcements hit the spiders at the queen just as they tore through all my workers.

You may also note my eggs are around the queen for faster reinforcements. I only placed a few worker spawns deep inside the nest to distract spiders, main spawning area is still centered around the queen.

As for the bug, can't help you much there. Can you repeat that bug in other maps or just 2.1?

Rayalot, it took me 5+ tries to beat 1.2 before I got a good strategy. I usually lose because I got too greedy and used up too much food at a critical moment. Where do you find most difficult with the map?

Know that I use both my workers and soldiers to defend against waves at the bottleneck I talked about, enough to plug the neck so I can kill the egg thieves on the return trip. I usually get 50 workers quickly while steadily building up my soldier count, which allows me to gather food faster and finish the map before I get overwhelmed. Having enough workers is key.

Race sounds good to me! :) Figuring out how to beat these levels with you guys was the most fun part of this game for me.

Balanite, I had 80 workers and 50 spitters.  The spitters would stand there doing nothing, only spitting at about the rate that a mortar ant shoots.

When I turned off arachnophobia mode and tried again, they shot normally, and I destroyed the spiders without any drama.   This whole time I've had the game I've had that mode on.  This also explains why it was SOOOOOO hard to beat 2.1 on hard mode.  I had to get over 150 melee/shooter ants to beat it on hard. 

arachnophobia mode needs a tooltip/warning...  I wasted so many hours not realizing they were paralyzing my ants...