Register
Login

mushroom farming

normal post 293 14
How's about some of those ants that cut leaves to grow mushrooms? That would be super cool.

• Mike

• Colony
    Administrator
    Global Moderator
    Community Manager
Next species to be added. Atta cephalotes.

will we have a mushroom into the formicarium ?
In the game of ants, you play or you die.

• Mike

• Colony
    Administrator
    Global Moderator
    Community Manager
The current plan is no - the formicarium colony won't grow fungus - but they will get the Atta cephalotes Majors to add to their colony as tanky, powerful fighters.

Can we start a Formicarium with a pure Atta colony instead then? This should be easily doable, right? (And yes, I know the dialogue probably woudn't fit because they're talking of ereptors but honestly I don't think most people would care about that)

Being able to collect new species to create a formicarium with would be amazing. All it would take would be a way to unlock a certain species, then once unlocked have the option to use it when making a new formicarium.

Maybe by beating 2.1 and 2.2 + formicarium challenge 2 on hard difficulty, the player could unlock a wood ant colony formicarium, or 3.1 and 3.2 + formicarium challenge 3 on hard to unlock leafcutter colony formicarium.
Posted from my Zombie bunker in northeast Ohio.

• Mike

• Colony
    Administrator
    Global Moderator
    Community Manager
Can we start a Formicarium with a pure Atta colony instead then? This should be easily doable, right? (And yes, I know the dialogue probably woudn't fit because they're talking of ereptors but honestly I don't think most people would care about that)

Not at all straightforward. As always, never say never, but it's a lot more involved than just having the wrong voice lines play.

Maybe we could choose like for wood ants we did can choose between mortars and rapid fire and for atta we would have to choose between majors or fungus ?

Wow, never thought of that! That is a good idea.
Ants are beautiful,
but if fooled around with,
can be deadly.

I'm pretty sure our choice will be choosing whether majors are resistant to venom or physical damage. Also, that wouldn't work because if you choose majors how would your colony survive without fungus? It's like saying choose between being able to gather food or get shooter ants.

I meant only for the formicarium in the missions there would be the twices

Freeplay with Atta is going to be so weird, if at all possible. The dead insects can't give you food, so are the landmarks all going to be redone into leaves?

I'm hoping the devs do it so that the rainforest map (I'm assuming it will come out for free play with 3.1 and 3.2) is rich with leaves for leafcutters but other non-fungus farming species would still be able to survive there because of enemy insects. However, on the beach map, there would be no leaves, or maybe some landmarks with leaves making them very rare. This would make it realistic so it would be very hard to survive as leaf cutters on a beach.

• Mike

• Colony
    Administrator
    Global Moderator
    Community Manager
Freeplay with Atta is going to be so weird, if at all possible. The dead insects can't give you food, so are the landmarks all going to be redone into leaves?

The current line of thinking is that if you play as leaf cutters in Freeplay, the food-dropping landmarks will instead be leaves of various configurations. There will still be infestation landmarks, since enemies will still attack the leaf cutters even if the leaf cutters don't eat them.

I'm hoping the devs do it so that the rainforest map (I'm assuming it will come out for free play with 3.1 and 3.2) is rich with leaves for leafcutters but other non-fungus farming species would still be able to survive there because of enemy insects. However, on the beach map, there would be no leaves, or maybe some landmarks with leaves making them very rare. This would make it realistic so it would be very hard to survive as leaf cutters on a beach.

Freeplay is still going to be entirely customisable so if you want to go ahead and play as leaf cutters on the beach with readily available food sources, you can. However, you may notice a currently ghosted-out option in Freeplay - "Setup". The idea here is that there will be a multitude of presets, for example one might be called "Rain Forest Leaf Cutters" which will have a realistic setup for leaf cutters in a rain forest map.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:13:06 PM by Mike »

So mike will my idea be possible ?